Photography is an amazing hobby, profession and art that explores perspective and creativity. And while picture taking has now been around for centuries, the beginning of photography and all things in between showcase some pretty incredible facts and info about one of the most amazing & classic forms of art.
Interesting Facts About Photography
- Dilish Parekh, a Mumbai photo-journalist has the world’s largest camera collection. He comes in with a total of 4,425 antique cameras at last count.
- The first photo capturing a human-being was taken by accident in 1828 by Louis Daguere. He was trying to capture a picture of the landscape & set his exposure to 7 seconds, enough time to capture a man walking by.
- The first digital camera was invented in 1975 by Steven Sasson who worked for Kodak Eastman upon its invention
- While the count can never really be verified for sure…it is estimated that there are over 1 trillion pictures taken per day throughout the world.
- In 1861 Thomas Sutton created the first process for colored photos. He also invented the first known panoramic camera.
- Potassium Choride & Aluminum made the very first flashes in photography because when mixed together & introduced to a spark a bright light is created. Mixing the concoction wrong could bring about a massive & violent explosion however, making it an unpopular choice.
- The most expensive photograph ever sold was captured in 1999 by Andreas Gursky who then sold it in 2011 for 4.3 million dollars. It is still the most expensive photo ever sold to this day.
- The brand Kodak has no real meaning behind it’s name. While most company’s form their name with meaning the founder of Kodak, George Eastman, simply said that he felt th letter K was a strong letter and formed a name around that!
The list of interesting photography facts can go on and on. There are so many interesting facts and tidbits of information out there! We hope you enjoy these facts and photography as much as we do!